mobile holiday shopping cart

Will smart-phones and mobile devices make a difference in holiday shopping this year? Chuck Martin, CEO of the Mobile Future Institute, recently pointed to a MarketLive study that yielded these results:

  • 21 percent plan to buy gifts via a mobile device – almost double compared to last year.
  • 43 percent plan to redeem coupons when making an in-store purchase.
  • 28 percent plan to research gifts on a mobile device during a store visit.
  • 18 percent plan to purchase gifts as a result of a text message from the retailer.

To cite the MarketLive study: “Last year, only 3 percent planned to use mobile as their shopping channel of choice,” said Martin. “This year, 16 percent plan to use mobile for overall gift-buying, compared to 19 percent who plan to buy in the store. Mobile is a retail game-changer, transforming the entire shopping process of researching, price-comparing and buying to one of all-the-time, without location dependence. Agencies, brands and retailers that don’t account for this will be surprised in January yet again.”

Are you ready to serve your mobile shopping audience? Visit our IdeaLab athttp://www.idealabfl.com/MobileWebsites-17 to learn more about why every business needs a mobile website.